Thursday, March 18, 2010

Absolutely crazy

Fist of all, thank you for the comments. They were incredibly encouraging and it's just what
I needed.

If I look at today, it should've been great. I got 23 miles done. The weather was about as perfect as it gets. The road was clean. And sailing was smooth.

Last night I woke up at 1 am to a growling noise. Except it was inside my tent! My stomach was going nuts and I thought, "well, from past experience, I'm either hungry or I'm sick."

Unfortunately, soon after that I made a dash for the exit and barely made it outside before my lunch made a second appearance. Yep! That's right, food poisoning. For the rest of my stay at the "resort au natural," AKA: the woods, I was in and out of the tent all night viewing things fly out of my body I never thought I would. It left me a broken, desheveled mess. I was pitiful. I felt every cell in my body working to rid myself of whatever foreign object decided to enter there unannounced.

I dosed in and out in between spewings and the grand total for sleep for the night was somewhere around 2.5-3 hours.

Realsizing that today's run was going to be somewhere between painfully slow and pretty near impossible, I started very early. I gave myself 7.5 hours to complete the 23 miles before 3 o'clock when I was meeting the Chamber of Commerce of Lake Village.

I started out right after seeing stomach acid and feeling the burn of the substance tear through my esophagus one last time. I had nothing in my body and no energy.

After awhile I passed a convenience store. I got 2 Mt. Dew's for the carbonation and the fact that at 290 calories a pop, this is what I needed.

First on went down smooth and I felt a little better. I tried running a bit. I could only manage a modest pace for no more than 10 minutes before pure exhaustion set in and was forced to walk.

Today was mainly a walking day with a bit of running thrown in for good measure and sanity. I got to Lake Village an hour and a half ahead of schedule. When I got to the intersection, two cops came up. I was thinking, "oh great, this is just what I needed."

They told me they'd escourt me to the ampitheatre. They were expecting me. Whoa! Definitely wasn't expecting that.

A bit later, St. Mary's school came outside and I was able to talk to them. Great kids. One kid could turn his foot all the way backwards. Crazy.

Both of the black shoes belong to the same kid.

-- Patrick


  1. Damn poisoning out in the middle of the sticks. I am hating it for you. One foot in front of the other!

  2. I am sure your mother is telling you this, but stay hydrated since having the flu. And be very kind to your body. I hope you have regained some of your strength back today.

  3. You are one tough cookie!! Not many people could have pulled off your day after.

    As if your journey was not inspiring enough you go and do something like that.