Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Paul

Today was a 40.5 mile day. A good day and I feel accomplished. My knee wasn't giving me any trouble throughout the day and things generally went well. The weather was nice. Sunny, slight breeze, upper 50s to low 60s. And the best part was I found a friend.

I have a history of run-ins with dogs on this trip. Well, today was no different except today's run-in turned into a run-with. I was just humming along and then I heard this tapping behind me. I look down and I see this little white dog with a black head. I told him to go home and that he couldn't come with me. I didn't see where he came from
and he wasn't wearing a collar or tags or anything. When I stopped to tell him to go home again he just sat down, looked at me and wagged his tail. I thought if I just ignore him he'd go away. I started running again and he stayed right there with me.

I started to get a little nervous i might be needing to find a place for him to sleep tonight because he was staying with me. I decided since he wouldn't leave me, I'd name him for the day. I named him Paul. After Paul Bunyon. The way I see it, Paul had an Ox and I had a dog. Does it make sense now? Nope. But that's just the way things go sometimes.

Paul followed me for 20 miles. That's right, 20 miles. The dog could run. He would stop and sniff something and then come running back to me full speed. When we got to Paris I started to think of ways I could sneak him into the hotel so I could give him a bath. I had the plan all worked out. It would be great! Just me and my runnin dog Paul. Well, we got to Paris and you know what they say, "Paris is the city of love." Well, Paul agreed because he found himself a mamasita and ditched me. I guess he forgot who shared his water, granola bar, and crust from a pb&j with him. (I figured since after 20 miles I like food and water he would too) Turns out Paul like pb&j. So, now it's just me and the road again...and the stupid baby jogger.

I got a video of him but it turned out to be too long to post. Bummer.

Another highlight from the day was I got 2 blisters. Wierd, since I hadn't gotten any the entire trip yet. Im betting it was because I was wearing my oldest pair of socks. Those things probably have a bajillion miles on them. Probably due for a new pair.


Cool church in Paris.


-- Patrick

4 comments:

  1. At least you had some company for half of your day! We've ordered up some warmer weather for you here in Georgia...perfect for a dip in the ocean...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the name Paul. I have a son by that name. Time for a new pair of Smartwool. Pull them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick,

    I cannot believe how fast you have kicked it across Texas. I grew up there and it has taken me longer than you to drive across it on occasion. Great job man. Our entire office is following you on your blog and everyone is blown away by your progress so must have a gun rack hidden somewhere on the whip. We are not worthy.

    Good luck and may the wind be at your back to rest of the way.

    Jay Hoffman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just checking up on your progress, Patrick. I can't believe that you are doing 40 miles a day, that is awesome. I wish I did something like this when I was your age. Keep up the good work. I am sure you are going to have a lot of interesting stories by the time you are done. ~ Dr. Bob

    ReplyDelete